Re: Compilation problems

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 15:24:39 EST

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Rob wrote:

> Hi, I've encountered a problem compiling the 2.4.2 kernel.
>
> I downloaded the source, did a make menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage;
> everything went ok, but I didn't have the NIC working correctly. I
> recompiled, it seemed to go ok but still the NIC didn't work. Then I
> tried make clean, make mrproper, make menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage,
> and now I keep getting an error at the very end of the compile process...
>
> init/main.o(.text.init+0x53): undefined reference to
> `__buggy_fxsr_alignment'
> make: ***[vmlinux] Error 1

You need to upgrade your binutils or 'C' compiler. This is a forced error
caused by task struct member, 'thread.i387.fxsave' not being aligned on a
16-byte boundary. In the meantime, you could actually create a global
function in main.c and see if the machine runs.

__buggy_fxsr_alignment(){}

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.