Re: devfs and /proc/ide/hda

From: Pierre Rousselet (pierre.rousselet@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 06:58:46 EST

Glenn McGrath wrote:

> Helge Hafting wrote:
>
>> Glenn McGrath wrote:
>>
>>> Im running kernel 2.4.1, I have entries like /proc/ide/hda,
>>> /proc/ide/ide0/hda etc irrespective of wether im using devfs or
>>> traditional device names.
>>>
>>> Is always using traditional device names for /proc/ide intentional, or
>>> is it something nobody has gotten around to fixing yet?
>>
>> Using devfs changes the names in /dev. I don't think it
>> is supposed to affect /proc in any way. And there are programs out
>> that use the existing /proc - changing it won't be popular.
>>

> Well leaving it the way it is doesnt make much sense either really, it
> refers to devices that dont exist.

IMHO ide0 ide1... are naming plugs on the motherboard. They are not
competing with special file names. It is a drawback of devfs to change
the device name when you happen to use a hd as a removable media.
hdd was disc0 and becomes disc1 when you plug in an hda...

Pierre

  Pierre Rousselet <pierre.rousselet@wanadoo.fr>