Re: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 18:01:44 EST

Caleb Epstein wrote:

> I am seeing the following error after my machine has been up
> for a while. My eth0 is connected to a switched, local
> subnet. There is not a lot of traffic on the interface, maybe
> a few 100 Mbytes or so. Taking the interface down and then up
> again fixes the problem (until it happens again :)
>
> Here is the relevant section from my kernel log
>
> Mar 1 10:48:44 tela kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

My guess would be that the driver has decided there's no
link beat on the 10baseT interface and has flopped over
to using 10base2. A fix for this exists in 2.4.2-ac5+,
in the zerocopy patch and in

        http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.c-2.4.2-pre4.gz

but not in 2.4.2.

You'll need to use

        options 3c59x options=0

in /etc/modules.conf to pin the driver down to using a
particular physical interface - disable autoselection.

So could you please upgrade the driver? If problems
remain, please send me a report, as described in the
final section of Documentation/networking/vortex.txt.

Thanks.