Re: What is 2.4 Linux networking performance like compared to BSD?

From: linuxjob (linuxjob@163.net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 22:05:50 EST

Hello Hans,

Thursday, March 01, 2001, 7:26:20 AM, you wrote:

HR> I have a client that wants to implement a webcache, but is very leery of
HR> implementing it on Linux rather than BSD.

HR> They know that iMimic's polymix performance on Linux 2.2.* is half what it is on
HR> BSD. Has the Linux 2.4 networking code caught up to BSD?

HR> Can I tell them not to worry about the Linux networking code strangling their
HR> webcache product's performance, or not?

HR> Hans
HR> -
HR> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
HR> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
HR> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
HR> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

It is not only related to TCP/IP performance. it is related to whole
OS performance. especially performance of file system and stablity,
network driver performance etc.
FreeBSD with softupdates turned on seems horrible fast and stable.
but Linux 2.4 is horrible fast in TCP/IP too. diffcult to compare between
in Linux and FreeBSD. don't do such stupid thing. you'll never get a
correct result.

--
Best regards,
David Xu