Re: Can Linux 2.4.x boot from UDMA-100 disk ?

From: John Silva (jps@aerizen.com)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 16:36:07 EST

I am doing this very thing on linux 2.2.18. My kernel has both the hd.c and
ide.c drivers installed.

I had to specify ide0=0x1f0 to the kernel to prevent the kernel's hd.c driver
from remapping the first two drives to hda/hdb. With the ide0 setting the
kernel preserves the true partition mapping. My boot partition is on
/dev/hde and my root is on /dev/hdg.

Since my UDMA 100 controller is an addon controller I had to instruct my
system's BIOS to specify boot order as ATA/SCSI, and to boot from "SCSI"
rather than HDD0.

-J.