Re: Linux 2.4.3

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 22:42:10 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0103052124250.1132-100000@groveland.analogic.com>,
Richard B. Johnson <johnson@groveland.analogic.com> wrote:

>I -- S T R O N G L Y -- suggest that nobody use this kernel with
>a BusLogic SCSI controller until this problem is fixed.

Ho humm..

Anybody who has any ideas or input, please holler. There are no actual
BusLogic controller changes in the current 2.4.3-pre kernels at all, so
there's something else going on.

There's a new aic7xxx driver there - did you enable support for that? I
wonder if there could be some inter-action: the aic7xxx driver tries to
probe every PCI SCSI controller because they are basically hard to ID
any other way (no single vendor/id combination, or even a simple
pattern). But it has some rather careful internal logic to filter out
all non-aic7xxx controllers, so this really doesn't look likely.

If you didn't compile aic7xxx in, the only other SCSI change (apart from
a lot of spelling fixes in comments etc) is some trivial error handling,
like changing scsi_test_unit_ready to not have a result buffer (because
it doesn't have a result except for the regular sense buffer). Which
again certainly shouldn't be able to matter at all.

Ideas?

                Linus