Re: binfmt_script and ^M

From: Jeff Coy (jcoy@klah.net)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 13:36:29 EST

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Jeff Coy]
> > this issue came up frequently with customers uploading scripts in
> > binary mode trying to run #!/usr/bin/perl^M. The solution for me was
> > to just do the following:
> >
> > cd /usr/bin
> > sudo ln -s perl^V^M perl
>
> So none of your customers tried '#!/usr/bin/perl -w^M'? (Come on,
> doesn't everyone use -w?)
>
> I'm not for treating \r as IFS in the kernel, but the "simple one-time"
> solution is not perfect..

'#!/usr/bin/perl -w^M' works without any special handling; the link is
not needed:

        11:15:52 jcoy@d-hopper::~
        $ cat -vet foo.pl
        #!/usr/bin/perl -w^M$
        ^M$
        print "Hello, World!\n";^M$
        11:16:52 jcoy@d-hopper::~
        $ ./foo.pl
        Hello, World!

Jeff

--
The Harvard Law states:  Under controlled conditions of light, temperature,
humidity, and nutrition, the organism will do as it damn well pleases.