Re: Kernel 2.4.3 and new aic7xxx

From: Justin T. Gibbs (gibbs@scsiguy.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 13:47:36 EST

>This is just to report on a the behavior of this driver. I've a dual
>channel Adaptec 7895 controller. The adapter BIOS is configured to boot
>from devices in channel B. I boot from a disk connected to channel B
>and when the kernel loads the driver the disks from channel A are seen
>first, resulting in the drive names changing from, say sda to sdb. This
>does not happen with 2.2.18 or 2.4.2. Is there an option to reverse the
>order? I saw some of the options in the code, but none about this.

Can you provide me with a dmesg from a boot with aic7xxx=verbose?
I just tested this on a 3940AUW and the behavior was as expected.
Perhaps you have a motherboard based controller that has no seeprom?
I don't know how to detect flipped channels in that configuration
but I'll see what I can find out.

--
Justin