Re: Hashing and directories

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 19:37:29 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
> > the space allowed for arguments is not a userland issue, it is a kernel
> > limit defined by MAX_ARG_PAGES in binfmts.h, so one could tweak it if one
> > wanted to without breaking any userland.
>
> Which is exactly what I done on my system. 2MB for command line is
> very nice.

Mine too (until recently). A proper patch to remove the limit, and copy
the args into swappable memory as they go (to avoid DoS) would be nicer,
but a quick change to MAX_ARG_PAGES seemed so much easier :-)

In my case, it was a Makefile generating the huge command lines. There
were about 20000 source files and 80000 target files, and the occasional
long line "update the archive with these changed files: ..." ;-)

Splitting the file name list seemed so much more difficult. You can't
even do "echo $(FILES) | xargs", as the "echo" command line is too long!

-- Jamie