Re: conducting TCP sessions with non-local IPs

From: Bryan Rittmeyer (bryan@ixiacom.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 23:00:14 EST

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> I didn't pick-up on the fact that you planned on have other computers
> listening with those addresses.

We won't--without getting into the specifics (NDA) we are developing a
TCP/IP load balance tester that needs to act--similtaneously--as many
machines. It is certainly not designed to run on your average LAN, but
rather on a carefully prepared test network using data assigned by a
user who (presumably) has ensured the IPs we are using are not already
assigned to other machines.

> This won't work without support from your routing device if you actually
> have hosts on the addresses, just because of ARP.

We have hacks in place for promiscous ARPing on any of the IPs we may
want to use :)

So, if I configure the interface as suggested ("/sbin/ip addr add
10.0.0.0/24 dev eth0") can I really bind to any IP in 10.0.0.0/24 and
conduct TCP sessions (as a client or server) using that IP--assuming all
the ARP, etc, issues are worked out?

Regards,

Bryan

--