Re: yacc dependency of aic7xxx driver

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings@folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 10:44:45 EST

"Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:

> >hello justin !
> >
> >i have just tried to install the latest 2.4.3pre3 kernel with your
> >driver.
> >it failed with yacc: file not found.
> >while i could install yacc, i have never had to use it before. i was
> >assuming that the newer bison could do the same thing (which is what
> >i have installed).
> >so far, the kernel has not relied on yacc, which is why i'd like to
> >ask you if it's possible to make it work with bison.
>
> The assembler makefile doesn't reference yacc, but instead relies
> on gmake's built in rules to figure out how to generate a .c from
> a .y. I'm somewhat surprised that bison doesn't create a link to
> yacc or that gmake doesn't try to look for bison.
>
> Oh well. We'll just have to be more careful in how future patches
> are generated so that the dependency between the generated firmware
> files and the firmware source only triggers if you are actually
> performing firmware development. Trying to build this simple
> assmebler on everyone's systems is turning out to be just too
> hard.

i might also be SuSE 7.1 related, since this was the first kernel i
compiled on the new distro.
but since the problem arose only with the new aic driver, i thought
it might be that you had a slightly different development
environment...?

anyway, robbert muller sent me the following simple workaround:

<quote>
Just create a shell script called yacc with the following content
-------------------
#!/bin/sh
bison --yacc $*
i ran into the same problem with a school proiject here yesterday
</quote>

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany