Re: Linux 2.4.2ac12 and ac13 breaks usb-visor

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 16:31:12 EST

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 02:13:32PM -0600, Erik DeBill wrote:
> Nothing. I've got the following in /etc/syslog.conf (which I believe
> SHOULD be correct), but I get absolutely nothing.
>
> *.=debug;\
> auth,authpriv.none;\
> news.none;mail.none /var/log/debug

Try adding an entry for kern.* like:
kern.* -/var/log/kernel

> Until it's documented this is a landmine. JE is the default USB
> driver, so you can bet that a great many people will be using it (even
> though it's described as "alternate"). Once it's fixed we just pull
> the warning from Config.help.

No, JE is _NOT_ the default USB UHCI driver, it doesn't say so in the
menu or anywhere. It's just another option.

> This is the first time I've ever run across something like this in
> Linux that wasn't at least labelled "experimental". Perhaps I've been
> leading a sheltered life.

Good point, I'll add something like your proposed patch for the visor
and other drivers that don't work with the JE driver.

> #
> # USB support
> #
> CONFIG_USB=y
> # CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
> CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=y

This is your problem, DO NOT USE THIS DRIVER WITH THE VISOR!
set CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y and you should be fine.

Try that and let me know if you still have problems.

thanks,

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com