Re: (struct dentry *)->vfsmnt;

From: LA Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 20:56:02 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:
> No such thing. The same fs may be present in many places. Please,
> describe the situation - where do you get that dentry from?
> Cheers,
> Al

---

Al, I'm getting it from various places, 1) if I want to know the path relative to the root of the dentry at the end of 'path_walk' or __user_path_walk (as used in truncate) and 2) If I've gotten a dentry as in sys_fchdir/fchown/fstat/newfstat from a file descriptor and I want the absolute path or if multple (such as multiple mounts of the same fs in different locations), the one that the user used to access the dentry.

In 2.2 there was a way to get the path only from the dentry (d_path) -- I'm looking for similar functionality for the above cases.

Is it such that in 2.2 dentries were only relative to root where in 2.4 they are relative to their mount point and instead of duplicate dcache entries for each possible mount point, they get stored as one?

If that's the case, then while I might get a path for user-path walk, if I just have a 'fd', it may not be poasible to backtrace into the path the user used to access the file?

Just some wild speculations on my part....:-/...did I refine the question enough?

thanks, -linda

-- L A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/