Re: Kernel 2.4.1 on RHL 6.2

From: Chris Andrews (chris@netsw.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 11:35:50 EST

> >Make sure you have the following symlinks in your /usr/include
> >directory, assuming you're on an x86 machine:
> >
> >asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/
> >linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/
>
> Note! You only have to have those symlinks on broken systems such
> as Redhat.
>
> Sane systems such as Debian have a copy of the kernel header files
> that the C library was compiled against in /usr/include/{linux,asm}
> instead of symlinks to the kernel source. Do not play the symlink
> trick on those systems.
>
> Before this turns into a flamewar: this has been discussed 20 or
> so times before, and both Linus and the glibc developers agree
> that you a distribution should do the latter. The headers you use
> to compile userland binaries should be the same as the C library
> was compiled against.

I've been following this advice for some time, but doing so tripped me up.
My system is RH 6.2, but with kernel 2.4 (and latest modutils etc). I
kept my kernel headers at 2.2.14, i.e. those supplied with the 6.2
kernel-headers RPM.

This breaks XFree 86 4, however, which checks the kernel version you are
*running* and then expects the headers for that kernel to be available. To
build X I had to move the symlink to point at some 2.4 headers so X could
find (IIRC) input.h, and others.

So what's at fault here? X for looking at the current kernel, me for not
telling X not to do that, or me again for not recompiling glibc and using
the new headers 'legally'?

Chris.