Re: linux localization

From: Rick Hohensee (humbubba@smarty.smart.net)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 00:39:51 EST

>> My work will concern with the internationalization of Linux
>> So, could anybody tell me what kinds of features should be in the
>> consideration when linux be localized from english to Japanese or
chinese,
>> say using 2 bytes character set.
>
>Most of the Linux userspace libraries are set up for handling UTF8 and
>other internationalisations. Fonts are more of an issue and lack of
application>translations. Filenames are defined to be UTF8.

For the features that don't exist in Linux yet, you want to look closely
at Plan 9 From Bell Labs, whence UTF-8 originates. Plan 9 for example has
font cacheing in the kernel for huge glyph sets, if I read it right. The
Plan 9 C compiler, written by Ken Thompson, author of UNIX and ed,
specifically for writing Plan 9, is fully UTF-8 also. Everything else in
Plan 9 is also UTF-8, from ed to libc to the GUI.

Per-process namespaces are a Plan 9 idea also. That is the ultimate in
localization. Plan 9 was released relatively recently under a license
clearly patterned after the GPL. Congratulations once again to Richard
Stallman. Thompson, Ritchie, Pike and so on have embraced his most
important ideas.

Plan 9 has a narrow platform base compared to Linux or NetBSD. I myself
haven't been able to install it on my oldish hardware. You probably need
to see it running, I suspect.

My own Dotted Standard File Hierarchy mechanism in cLIeNUX
(Linux/GNU/unix) may also be of interest. See my "/" below. That could
easily be Japanese, Mandarin, Hindi, etc.

ftp://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/cLIeNUX/descriptive/DSFH.html

Rick Hohensee
www.clienux.com

:; cLIeNUX /dev/tty3 00:12:08 /
:;d -d */
Linux// dev// help// mounts// suite//
boot// device// incoming// owner// temp//
command// floppy// log// source//
configure// guest// lost+found// subroutines//
:; cLIeNUX /dev/tty3 00:42:44 /
:;