Re: Rename all derived CONFIG variables

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 02:25:05 EST

Keith Owens wrote:

> In 2.4.2-ac18 there are 130 CONFIG options that are always derived from
> other options, the user has no control over them. It is useful for the
> kernel build process to know which variables are derived and which
> variables the user can control. There are also 6 CONFIG options that
> are not used anywhere.
>
> ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/2.4.2-ac18-config_derived.gz
>
> is a 583,904 byte (unzipped) 114,291 (gzipped) patch which removes the
> unused variables and renames the 130 derived variables from CONFIG_FOO
> to CONFIG_FOO_DERIVED. The affected variables are :-

Not only do I think that CONFIG_xxx_DERIVED needlessly extends the name
of derived vars, but your patch does not belong in a stable series.
Derived CONFIG_xxx vars are likely to be referenced in source. Changing
those vars in the middle of a stable series pointlessly breaks external
source code.

I hope vendors don't start applying this patch...

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik       | "You see, in this world there's two kinds of
Building 1024     |  people, my friend: Those with loaded guns