Re: About DC-315U scsi driver

From: Quim K Holland (qkholland@my-deja.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 04:21:13 EST

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) >>>>> "AC" == Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

>> Indeed; people report more problems on 2.4 kernels than on
>> 2.2 kernels. I currently have no clue why.

AC> 2.4 causes longer continuous I/O requests to be sent to the
AC> drive for one

Sorry but I am having a hard time understanding this comment.
Are you saying 2.4 causes applications to send I/O requests
longer than the hardware accepts, and if applications are
properly written they should be able to limit the continuous
requests from the userland (which means it is an application
bug)? Or are you saying 2.4 kernel should not ``cause longer
continuous I/O requests to be sent'' but it ends up doing
so (which means its a kernel bug)?