Re: cdfs

From: Ville Herva (vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 10:40:15 EST

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 04:23:41PM +0100, you [J . A . Magallon] claimed:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I read the BeOS www page, and answerd a question in other mailing
> list. Both things have remind me of a pretty file system: 'cdfs'.
>
> Anybody knows if there is a port of 'cdfs' (Audio CD File System) for Linux ?
> Which fs now in kernel would be good as a template to start ?
> I am always looking for something enough easy to start kernel programming,
> and this could be a nice start (look, throw away all your ripping soft
> and just do a 'cp').

Below is one response to a similar question from the l-k archive:

From: David Balazic <david.balazic@uni-mb.si>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:08:39 -0800
Subject: Re: CD-ROM Driver Design

There are already two file-systems for CD-audio on Linux :
- cdfs at
http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ronsse/cdfs/
- audiofs at
http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~ptolomei/audiofs/

Are you sure there is a need for a third one ? The audiofs uses the
CDROMREADAUDIO for reading the data and uses the page-cache for caching. I
personally added the page-cache code , but I don't believe it makes a lot
of sense, because when ripping audio, you read data sequentially , so the
cache just eats all free RAM ( possibly throwing out other more usefull
cached data ) and gives almost no gain. By the way , when there is a
"normal" FS on a "normal" block device, does the data get cached twice,
once in buffer-cache and once in page-cache ?
David Balazic

-- v --

v@iki.fi