Re: (struct dentry *)->vfsmnt;

From: Dave Kleikamp (shaggy@austin.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 14:57:34 EST

Let me start with a disclaimer stating that it's been a few years since
I've worked with AIX, but this is what I believe happens.

mount itself doesn't do anything except read /etc/filesytems (AIX's
version of /etc/fstab). LVM maintains the information primarily in the
ODM (yuck). The utilities such as mkfs, mklv, chfs, etc. modify this
information in the ODM. The exportvg command extracts the information
from the ODM (and /etc/filesystems?) and stores it somewhere in the
volume group. Only then can the volume group be imported by another
system with the importvg command, which then populates the ODM and
/etc/filesystems.

Of course, I would NEVER suggest anything resembling AIX's ODM, but I do
think that the LVM is a reasonable place to store this kind of
information.

--
David J. Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center