Re: Linux on the Unisys ES7000 and CMP2 machines?

From: Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 20:43:46 EST

jdow wrote:
> Miles, if these babies are the 32 processor monsters that UniSys
> has been making recently there IS interest to get Linux on it.
> But the people I know who have mentioned "interest", mostly from
> a curiosity standpoint, have their hands neatly tied by Microsoft.
> Ya see, the developers at UniSys have NT source licenses so they
> can develop the HALs for the monsters. Microsoft insists that they
> spend a considerable time away from OS development before working
> on another OS. So, no Linux port is in the offing, I suspect. The
> people who KNOW the machine are not allowed to do it.

I just saw one of these 32 processor machines at Internet World,
and the engineer said that AIX and the successor to SCO Unix would
also run on the machine. Perhaps the engineers doing the AIX port
are under less restrictive terms.

(When the two people he was talking to asked about Linux on the machine,
he said "We feel Linux can't do enterprise-level stuff like this."
He got a little defensive when we questioned his judgement.)

- Dan