kernel 2.4.2 network performances

From: Jerome Tollet (Jerome.Tollet@qosmos.net)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 04:47:24 EST

Hello, i have a problem with the network layer of linux kernel 2.4.2
I wrote a minimalist program which basically sends UDP datagrams over
the network in an infinite loop.
Under Linux 2.2.x, this program floods the network and my xosview prints
that 12 MB/s are sent over my 100Mbit ethernet.

Under Linux 2.4.2, this program can't flood the network because my
xosview (the same ;-) ) tells me that 4.6MB/s are sent over my ethernet
although my cpu is not overloaded.

I think that Linux 2.4.2 limits the rate of packets sent over the
network with some soft parameters.
*Does anyone have any idea ?
*Could someone explains me the new
/proc/sys/net/core/{hot_list_length|no_cong|no_cong_thresh|mod_cong|lo_cong}
parameters ?
*Where could i see in the code this soft limits ?

Thanks for your help.
Please CC me your response while i didn't subscribed to the mailing
list.