Re: pivot_root & linuxrc problem

From: Art Boulatov (art@ksu.ru)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 07:34:45 EST

Mike Galbraith wrote:

> Aha.. so that's it. I've never been able to get /linuxrc to execute
> automagically. I wonder why /linuxrc executes on Art's system, but
> not on mine. I can call it whatever I want and it doesn't run unless
> I explicitly start it with init=whatever.
>
> If it does execute though, that explains init complaining.. pid is
> going to be whatever comes after the last thread started (would be
> 8 here). It looks like you're only supposed to do setup things in
> magic filename /linuxrc and not exec /sbin/init from there.
>
> In any case, it looks like renaming linuxrc to whatever.sh and booting
> with init=/whatever.sh instead will likely make init happy.
>
> -Mike

Thank you for your answers, Mike and Russell.

They made me sure something weird going on with my setup.
And I think a have figured the problem.
I was using etherboot to boot the kernel and initrd.
I should have told you that before, and I'm sorry I did not.

Bootin' localy, with lilo, seems to solve the "PID problem".

I guess that's more of mknbi from etherboot question than kernel-related...
I have to check more in depth the etherboot documenation/sources.

Art.