Re: devfs vs. devpts

From: Nathan Walp (faceprint@faceprint.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 12:30:46 EST

John Jasen wrote:

> On 16 Mar 2001, Ian Soboroff wrote:
>
> > i don't have devpts mounted under 2.4.2 (debian checks whether you
> > have devfs before mounting devpts), so i tried building my kernel with
> > Unix 98 pty support but without the devpts filesystem. i get the
> > following error at the very end of 'make bzImage':
>
> snipped from .config:
>
> #
> # Character devices
> #
> CONFIG_VT=y
> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL=y
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE is not set
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED is not set
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
> CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
> CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
>
> #
> # File systems
> #
> CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
> CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y
> CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG=y
> # CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS is not set
>
> from my /etc/devfsd.conf, I have:
> REGISTER pts/.* MKOLDCOMPAT
> UNREGISTER pts/.* RMOLDCOMPAT
>
> and for permissions:
> REGISTER pts/.* IGNORE

I had the same problem, so i added those devfsd lines to my config
files, and everything's peachy now. I'm thinking it's a debian problem,
cause everything was fine till I ran a dist-upgrade. I didn't notice it
right away, and I did random kernel stuff before I did notice it. Ian,
which debian are you running, I'm using sid.

Nathan