Re: Linux should better cope with power failure

From: Charles Cazabon (linux-kernel@discworld.dyndns.org)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 14:59:10 EST

Otto Wyss <otto.wyss@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Lately I had an USB failure, leaving me without any access to my system
> since I only use an USB-keyboard/-mouse. All I could do in that
> situation was switching power off and on after a few minutes of
> inactivity. From the impression I got during the following startup, I
> assume Linux (2.4.2, EXT2-filesystem) is not very suited to any power
> failiure or manually switching it off. Not even if there wasn't any
> activity going on.

You're not using the filesystem the way you should, if you expect to be
able to kill the power and not lose data.

> How could this be accomplished:
> 1. Flush any dirty cache pages as soon as possible. There may not be any
> dirty cache after a certain amount of idle time.

Mount the filesystem sychronously if you want this.

> 2. Keep open files in a state where it doesn't matter if they where
> improperly closed (if possible).

Mount the filesystem read-only if you want this.

> 3. Swap may not contain anything which can't be discarded. Otherwise
> swap has to be treated as ordinary disk space.

The kernel doesn't care about what's in swap. Fix your applications if they
do.

Charles