Re: PCMCIA serial CardBus support vanished in 2.4.3-pre3 and later

From: Alessandro Suardi (alessandro.suardi@oracle.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 10:17:25 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> > Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > > Neither. serial.c does serial_cb's job now. It looks like serial.c
> > > needs to scan for modems as well as serial ports, and tytso agrees with
> > > me on that. We just need to check and see if winmodems reports
> > > themselves as real modems before fixing this.
>
> > OK, thanks. I assume you mean "serial.c should do serial_cb's job now",
> > since it doesn't :) If you want me to test patches etc. just let me know.
>
> Re-CC'd to linux-kernel, hope you don't mind.

No problem for me, of course.

> Anyone interested in testing patches, this simple change is what needs
> testing on various PCI and CardBus modems:
> linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg34097.html">http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg34097.html
> (since it's a web archive, you may have to hack the patch in manually...)

I performed this hand-diff...

[asuardi@princess char]$ diff serial.c serial.c-2.4.3p4
4613,4614c4613
< if (!((dev->class >> 8) == PCI_CLASS_COMMUNICATION_SERIAL ||
< (dev->class >> 8) == PCI_CLASS_COMMUNICATION_MODEM) ||

---
> 	if ((dev->class >> 8) != PCI_CLASS_COMMUNICATION_SERIAL ||

...and still my Xircom modem tty isn't detected :(

> It seems straightforward enough, and both tytso and I think the change > is ok, but (at tytso's suggestion) I'm going to test some various > winmodem and other use cases because assuring ourselves that it is good > enough for a general rule...

Available for further testing (or fixing my diff if I patched it badly).

Thanks & ciao,

--alessandro <alessandro.suardi@oracle.com> <asuardi@uninetcom.it>

Linux: kernel 2.2.19p17/2.4.3p4 glibc-2.2 gcc-2.96-69 binutils-2.11.90.0.1 Oracle: Oracle8i 8.1.7.0.1 Enterprise Edition for Linux motto: Tell the truth, there's less to remember.