socket close problems

From: Lee Chin (leechin@mail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 21:27:28 EST

Hi,
On linux I have the following problem:
I accept connections from client sockets, read the request and send data
back and close the socket.

After a while, I run out of file descriptors... and when I run netstat, all
my connections to the clients are in state CLOSING... and I know the client
has received all the data and disconnected too.

What could I be doing wrong? The socket is set obtained via the accept
system call. I set the socket to non blocking via fcntl and use
SO_REUSEADDR via setsockopt... and after using the socket for read and
write, I simply call shutdown followed by a close

Thanks
Lee