Re: kswapd deadlock 2.4.3-pre6

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 05:02:40 EST

Marcelo Tosatti writes:
> Are you sure flush_page_to_ram()/flush_icache_page() without
> page_table_lock held is ok for all archs?

This is actually a sticky area. For example, I remember that a long
time ago I noticed that it wasn't necessarily guarenteed that even
all the flush_tlb_{page,mm,range}() stuff was done under the page
table lock.

Maybe things have changed since then, but...

Furthermore I did not specify that flush_page_to_ram/flush_icache_page
can assume this, see Documentation/cachetlb.txt

I have no problem adding this invariant to some of the interfaces, but
we have to audit things.

> Looking at arch/mips/mm/r2300.c:

The r2300 port is UP-only btw...

Later,