kernel_thread vs. zombie

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 06:49:27 EST

Hi !

I'm changing the ADB bus reset & probe code to be in a kernel threads
that is created when a bus reset is triggered and that dies of it's own
death.

Everything is fine when the bus reset is triggered during kernel init as
my thread is a child of init. However, when created as a result of an
ioctl, the thread becomes a zombie as it's a child of the process who
caused the ioctl (typically when entering sleep mode).

How do I force a kernel thread to always be a child of init and never
become a zombie ?

I do call daemonize at the beginning of the thread (as it won't do
anything with files, signals or whatever), but that doesn't seem to be enough.

Reagrds,
Ben.