RE: kernel_thread vs. zombie

From: Martin Frey (frey@scs.ch)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 09:32:52 EST

Hi,

>How do I force a kernel thread to always be a child of init and never
>become a zombie ?
>
>I do call daemonize at the beginning of the thread (as it won't do
>anything with files, signals or whatever), but that doesn't
>seem to be enough.

Have a look at:
http://www.scs.ch/~frey/linux/kernelthreads.html
I have an example there that starts and stops kernel threads
from init_module and never produced a zombie.
I use the same code also to start threads from ioctl and it
works for me. I tested it on UP and SMP, Intel and Alpha,
2.2.18 and 2.4.2.

Regards,

Martin

--