Re: Serial port latency

From: Theodore Tso (tytso@mit.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 15:08:52 EST

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 07:21:28PM +0100, Geir Thomassen wrote:
> My program controls a device (a programmer for microcontrollers) via the
> serial port. The program sits in a tight loop, writing a few (typical 6)
> bytes to the port, and waits for a few (typ. two) bytes to be returned from
> the programmer.

Check out the man page for the "low_latency" configuration parameter
in the setserial man page. This will cause the serial driver to burn
a small amount of additional CPU overhead when processing characters,
but it will lower the time between when characters arrive at the
RS-232 port and when they are made available to the user program. The
preferable solution is to use a intelligent windowing protocol that
isn't heavily latency dependent (all modern protocols, such as kermit,
zmodem, tcp/ip, etc. do this). But if you can't, using setserial to
set the "low_latency" flag will allow you to work around a dumb
communications protocol.

                                                - Ted