RAMFS, CRAMFS and JFFS2(was Re: /linuxrc query)

From: Amit D Chaudhary (amit@muppetlabs.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 13:00:55 EST

Hi David,

I did consider CRAMFS and JFFS2 when it was announced on the mtd list.
Conserving flash over system ram is more relevant. Our reasons are below:

RAMFS v/s CRAMFS
1. RAMFS is just more stable in terms of less complexity, less bugs reported
over the time, etc.
2. RAMFS is a fairly robust filesystem and all features required as far as I can
tell.

RAMFS v/s ext2 on a ramdisk
1. Fixed size. Results in overallocation or more dangerously overshooting the
size decided earlier during mke2fs.

RAMFS v/s JFFS2
1. JFFS2 was announced around a month ago and few utils were still in
development, hence it was not there for the first development cycle.
2. Just offhand, joining 100 small files (say in /etc) and then compressing into
a one file over these 100 files in a JFFS2 fs seems to give better overall space
usage and probably less flash wear during modifications.
3. JFFS2 does has some compelling reasons, more robustness ofcourse with JFFS2
over above approach, flash wearing(though would require sufficient free space on
that mtd partition), etc. Plan to compare these later.

I might be wrong and hence would welcome any suggestions.

Regards
Amit