Re: Linux Worm (fwd)

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 10:40:17 EST

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:07:22AM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Gerhard Mack wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Bob Lorenzini wrote:
> >
> > > I'm annoyed when persons post virus alerts to unrelated lists but this
> > > is a serious threat. If your offended flame away.
> >
> > This should be a wake up call... distributions need to stop using product
> > with consistently bad security records.
> >
> > Gerhard
> >

> The immediate affect of specifically targeting Linux is to cause
> "security administrators" to deny network access to all Linux
> machines.
>
> I have just received notice that my machines will no longer be
> provided access to "The Internet".
>
> "Effective on or before 16:00:00 local time, the only personal
> computers that will be allowed Internet access are those administered
> by a Microsoft Certified Network Administrator. This means that
> no Unix or Linux machines will be provided access beyond the local
> area network. If you require Internet access, the company will
> provide a PC which runs a secure operating system such as Microsoft
> Windows, or Windows/NT. Insecure operating systems like Linux must
> be removed from company owned computers before the end of this week....."

Ohhhh. I especially like the "secure operating systems such as Microsoft
Windows" part. I'm impressed with their clear perception.

/David
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </