Re: Bug in the file attributes ?

From: Tim Wright (timw@splhi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 21:34:04 EST

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:51:18AM -0800, Justin Carlson wrote:
> You don't need write perms on a file to remove it, you need write perms on the
> directory. If you've got write permissions on the directory, you can remove
> any file in the directory, regardless of the permissions.
>
> -Justin

Except when the "sticky" bit is set. This is useful for shared temporary
directories. Files can be created by anyone, but they can only be unlinked
by the owner or by the superuser. Take a look at the permissions of /var/tmp.

Tim

--
Tim Wright - timw@splhi.com or timw@aracnet.com or twright@us.ibm.com
IBM Linux Technology Center, Beaverton, Oregon