Re: bug database braindump from the kernel summit

From: David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 18:25:16 EST

Jeff, if the sysadmin had anything to do with setting up the box I would
agree with you, but there are cases where one person will boot a machine
and another will then need to find out what is going on.

I have seen systems with multiple kernels available on boot get booted
from the wrong kernel

I've also seen a machine running for years without being touched and then
a sysadmin is hired and has to work on it, how should they know what the
config was?

/proc/config may be bloat, but we do need a way for the kernel config to
be tied to the kernel image that is running, however it is made available.

David Lang