Re: bug database braindump from the kernel summit

From: Miles Lane (miles@megapathdsl.net)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 20:49:04 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

<snip>

> /proc/pci data alone with every bug report is usually invaluable. It
> gives you a really good idea of the general layout of the system, and
> you can often catch or become aware of related hardware characteristics
> which

I often see requests for the output of "lspci -vvxxx" when developers
are looking into problems with handling pci bus bridging and quirks
in specific hardware. For example, this info has been requested of
me for debugging a problem handling my Neomagic 2160, at least one
bug in early Yenta code and so on. Does /proc/pci get you all the
information that would be obtained with "lspci -vvxxx"?

> linux/REPORTINGS-BUGS was created to give users a hint that we need
> -more- information, and tells exactly what general information is useful
> to provide. We do not need less information.

Agreed.

        Miles