Re: Cool Road Runner

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 11:59:27 EST

Andre Hedrick writes:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
>
> > And BTW: Isn't Andre's writing style very lovely ?
>
> DGD, and who made you a grammer teacher of english on LKML?
> Never claimed to be an "English Major" soooooo WTF is the price of
> eggs in Germany today? This is no different to trying an orthoginal
> rotation to one's person.

Well, I for one think people should make the effort to write better
English. It makes it easier to parse. I realise it's hard, more so for
some than others. I also realise that there's the temptation to just
blurt out quickly and move on. But overall it's still better to make
it easier for people to read. As I say in the FAQ "write for maximum
efficiency of reading". More time is wasted if thousands of brains
stall for a minute while parsing, than if one brain stalls for 5
minutes in generating. Respect the time of the readers. Their time is
important too.

However, flaming about it isn't the right answer either. Nor are snide
comments. The point can be raised politely (i.e. "I have difficulty
parsing your messages because of your writing style/grammar/spelling").

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca