Stuck: What to do with solid locks?

From: Pete Toscano (pete.lkml@toscano.org)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 23:16:11 EST

Hello,

Three times since I upgraded to 2.4.3 and at least once in the 2.4.3-pre
series, my machine would completely lock hard. I've got KDB running on
a serial console (as I've been seeing lots of crashes, usually in the
scsi_eh_0 process) and even this fails to pick up anything wrong. It's
just a completely hard crash.

I don't know what to do or how to go about collecting info for debugging
purposes. I run Win2k and FreeBSD on it too and while Win2k does crash
on it sometimes, it doesn't crash anywhere near as much as Linux.
FreeBSD doesn't crash at all. Unfortunately for me, I prefer Linux for
my machine, so ditching Linux for one of these is not a preferred
option.

Anyway, I'm stumped. The magic SysReq stuff doesn't respond either.
Any ides on how to debug this?

My HW is: dual P3 600, 640M RAM, IEEE1394 PCI card, G200 (and G400
sometimes) AGP card, Promise Ultra66 PCI card, Adaptec 2940UW PCI card,
SB Live (EMU10k1) card, and a Linksys 10/100 PCI ethernet card.
Additionally, I have two USB hubs plugged into my PC. One of these hubs
has a USB mouse and a (USB) SanDisk SDDR-31 plugged into it. The other
hub (sometimes) has a Rio 500 plugged into it. I have a generic ATAPI
CDROM (the Kenwood True-X 72x was very flaky when using IDE-SCSI)
connected to the Promise card (yes, I know it doesn't do UDMA4) and a
Plextor 12/4/32 SCSI CD-RW connected to the Adaptec card. Finally, I
have two hard drives with Linux partitions on both. Almost all of these
partition are ReiserFS, with /, /var, and /boot being EXT2.

Attached is my .config file. I'm using stock 2.4.3 with the most recent
KDB patch and the newest AIC7xxx driver (6.1.8).

I'm using RH7.0 with XFree 4.0.1. I've upgraded packages as per the
Changes docs. I'm also using the most recent modutils (2.4.5). Every
crash has happened in X, but then, I almost always work in X on this
workstation, so the only place for them to happen would be in X. I'll
see about leaving it on overnight without running X.

This is very frustrating. I really, really want to be able to start
doing something on my workstation without having to worry everytime
about it crashing.

Thanks,
pete