2048 byte/sector problems with kernel 2.4

From: Jurgen Kramer (GTM.Kramer@inter.nl.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 16:34:14 EST

Hi,

I recently acquired a 1.3GB MO drive. When I use small (230MB and 540MB)

MO disks which have normal 512 bytes/sector it all works flawlessly but
as soon
as a put in a 1.3GB disk which uses the 2048 bytes/sector format it all
goes
wrong. As soon as I write something to the disk by issuing a cp command
the command
just eats 99% CPU time and does not write a single byte to disk (it
seems). Is this a
known problem? When I check the kernel logs it seems that the sector
size is correctly
identified. The problems occurs with both the ext2 and fat filesystems.

I also tried it with 2.2.18 there it works but it seems to be utterly
slow. I'm using kernel 2.4.2(XFS version to be precise).

Any solution to this problem?

Greetings,

Jurgen