Re: /dev/loop0 over lvm... leading to d-state :-(

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 09:38:18 EST

On Thu, Apr 05 2001, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04 2001, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> >
> > fyi, loop devices over lvm LV's dont work for me...
> >
> > I've tested with 2.4.3final (and some other 2.4.3 derivates) and two
> > lvm'ized partitions with a size of about 1gig each; mke2fs
> > just goes into D-state and stays there when applying it to /dev/loop0,
> > running it directly on the LV-device works...
>
> this would appear to be an lvm bug, could you try this patch? it's
> untested, let me know if it doesn't work and I'll try and reproduce
> here.

What do you know, there was one more in there. Even visible in
the original hunk :-). And this time it wasn't a loop bug (the
crowd goes bezerk).

To the LVM folks: you can't use b_dev or b_blocknr inside your
make_request_fn, it destroys stacking drivers such as loop. And
is just plain wrong in the general case too.

--
Jens Axboe