Re: goodbye

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 18:32:28 EST

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 06:14:33PM -0700, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> This would be a shame, as he has been a valuable resource..
> Why has the list become more restrictive?

        I just verified this particular aspect of VGER's MTA
        configurations. It has been unmodified since 21-Mar-2000,
        that is, over a year...

        If e.g. Rik's ISP has added their dialup pools to DUL registry,
        that might be the reason behind the change.

> I think that this is one list where we have to keep the ability to post
> from individuals separate from the need to make sure that their ISP or
> company is compliant to a set a of rules.. The LKML can't toe the
> strictest of lines, without loosing some possibly valuable
> contributors..

        Well, comparing how much spam goes thru linux-mm vs. linux-kernel,
        I would say our methods are fairly effective.

        The incentive behind the DUL is to force users not to post
        straight out to the world, but to use their ISP's servers
        for outbound email --- normal M$ users do that, after all.
        Only spammers - and UNIX powerusers - want to post directly
        to the world from dialups. And UNIX powerusers should know
        better, and be able to use ISP relay service anyway.