Oops in networking with 2.4.3

From: Kenneth Stephen (y2kmvs@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 11:21:31 EST

Hi,

        I've got a dual CPU (Pentium-Pro), Adaptec 7880 SCSI adapter
machine with two 100Mbps ethernet cards (Linksys / Tulip), and a 16/4
Token-ring card (IBM Olympic chipset) in it. The kernel configuration is
attached in this email.

        I installed Debian 2.2r2 and upgraded the prereqs for the 2.4
kernels and compiled 2.4.3 . During the boot process, the machine dies
with an oops while loading named. I uninstalled named, which allowed the
boot process to complete, but the machine would die again whenever I did a
'ping'.

        I compiled 2.4.2 . This kernel worked fine. I kept stepping up
through the pre-patches until I found that 2.4.3-pre6 is what causes the
problem. Given the attached ksymoops-translation attached, I am inclined
to believe that the "network driver merge" patch from Jeff Garzik is the
culprit - but this amateur will defer to the opinion of the experts.

        If more info is needed to help debug this problem, please ask.

Thanks,
Kenneth