Re: linux/scsi

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolinux.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 22:14:04 EST

You write:
> are there samples of linux codes that can talk to SCSI harddisk, scanners
> and
> cameras in the Linux kernel. Like in windows NT, one does not need to write
> driver for his scsi device. Just use some scsi interface libraries to talk
> to the scsi device. Is there such examples in linux?.I need to learn this so
> that i can develop the same thing for a scsi digital camera.

See the SANE project, which has support for lots of SCSI scanners, and is
the defacto standard for image acquisition for GIMP and such. It has lots
of other good features already (dynamic loading of backends (i.e. "device
drivers"), network device access, GUI/text front ends, etc). I believe it
is also being used for other high-end image acquisition devices, not just
scanners.

Cheers, Andreas