Re: [QUESTION] 2.4.x nice level

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 11:10:10 EST

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, george anzinger wrote:
> SodaPop wrote:
> >
> > I too have noticed that nicing processes does not work nearly as
> > effectively as I'd like it to. I run on an underpowered machine,
> > and have had to stop running things such as seti because it steals too
> > much cpu time, even when maximally niced.

> In kernel/sched.c for HZ < 200 an adjustment of nice to tick is set up
> to be nice>>2 (i.e. nice /4). This gives the ratio of nice to time
> slice. Adjustments are made to make the MOST nice yield 1 jiffy, so
        [snip 2.4 nice scale is too limited]

I'll try to come up with a recalculation change that will make
this thing behave better, while still retaining the short time
slices for multiple normal-priority tasks and the cache footprint
schedule() and friends currently have...

[I've got some vague ideas ... give me a few hours to put them
into code ;)]

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/ http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/