RE: Still IRQ routing problems with VIA

From: Manuel A. McLure (mmt@unify.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 16:24:27 EST

> > I do have an IRQ for my VGA since the instructions for my
> card (a Voodoo 5
> > 5500) specifically say an IRQ is needed.
>
> I wonder though... In my mind this is a driver not hardware issue. If
> the XFree86 and/or Linux console driver do not use the IRQ,
> you need not
> have BIOS assign one. If you are feeling dangerous, try
> turning the VGA
> IRQ assignment off in BIOS and see if things melt/explode/kick ass.

I'd do that if this wasn't also my Windows 98 gaming machine - I'm supposing
that the Windows drivers do use the IRQ even if XFree86/Linux doesn't. I
dunno if Windows is smart enough to assign an IRQ even if the BIOS doesn't.
Anyway, things are working now (specially since the last tulip patches) and
I like it that way :-)

--
Manuel A. McLure - Unify Corp. Technical Support <mmt@unify.com>
Space Ghost: "Hey, what happened to the-?" Moltar: "It's out." SG: "What