Re: SCSI tape corruption problem

From: Mircea Damian (dmircea@kappa.ro)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 08:18:53 EST

This seems to happen on my system too but I have and IDE tape:

Apr 3 00:00:48 www kernel: ide-tape: hdb <-> ht0: Seagate STT8000A rev 5.02
Apr 3 00:00:48 www kernel: ide-tape: hdb <-> ht0: 600KBps, 14*26kB buffer, 5850kB pipeline, 80ms tDSC, DMA

I have managed to recover the tar archive by writing the data through a
faucet pipe on another machine.

So this seems to be a problem only when I write the data on the same IDE
interface.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 01:37:02PM +0200, lomarcan@tin.it wrote:
> I've recently installed a SDT-9000 tape drive. Running kernel 2.4.x I've
> noticed the following (critical) problem:
>
> Apparently the data are corrupted on the way to (from?) tape. I'm sure the
> DAT
> drive is good (worked good on NT, head clean, new cartridge). It doesn't
> report
> data errors. I've got bad CRC errors on tar (the gzip part, of course)
>
> The drive is on an Adaptec 2904 controller, with a Yamaha CDRW on the same
> bus.
> I'm pretty sure it's terminated correctly. Another SCSI controller (2940)
> is
> driving 2 hard drives. Underlying HW: Athlon 1GHz, on Asus board (VIA
> chipset).
> It seems to happen frequently (tried four times with about 600MB of data,
> three
> times failed the restore :((. Tried all the 2.4.x kernel series (thru
> 2.4.3)
>
> What can it be? (I'll try to compare the read data with the original...)
>
> -- Lorenzo Marcantonio
>
> -

Mircea Damian
E-mails: dmircea@kappa.ro, dmircea@roedu.net