Re: 8139too: defunct threads

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 13:54:54 EST

Rod Stewart wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Using the 8139too driver, 0.9.15c, we have noticed that we get a defunct
> thread for each device we have; if the driver is built into the kernel.
> If the driver is built as a module, no defunct threads appear.

What is the parent PID for the defunct tasks? zero?

<slaps head> swapper doesn't know how to reap children, and
AFAIK there's no way for a kernel thread to fully clean itself
up. This is always done by the parent.

ho-hum. Jeff, I think the best fix here is to bite the
bullet and write kernel_daemon(), which will delegate
thread creation to keventd, which is the only thing
we have which reaps zombies. Any better ideas?