Re: Data-corruption bug in VIA chipsets

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 08:36:05 EST

> Is this problem likely to affect 2.2.X? I have a VIA-based board on
> order (Tyan Trinity) and I don't plan to run 2.4 on it anytime soon
> (it's upgrading a stock RH6.2 box).
>
> Am I safe if I stay in PIO mode?

I have received exactly zero reports of 2.2 problems, and as the 2.2 maintainer
I would have expected more (I delete 2.2 + ide-patch reports). My suspicion is
the problem requires UDMA to occur, or to occur with any probability.

The real concern (as with all of these things) is going to be what the
workaround does to performance - as measured in frames/second for most folks ;)