Problem with k7 optimizations in 2.4.x?

From: Moses Mcknight (moses@texoma.net)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 09:01:40 EST

Hi,

    I don't know if this is a problem with my hardware setup or config
settings or what, but whenever I try to run a 2.4.x kernel on my machine
with k7 optimizations the computer will never fully boot and seems to
give random errors about being "unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
dereference at virtual address xxxxxxxx" and other errors.
    This has happened with the debian 2.4.2 package and my own
compilings of 2.4.3, 2.4.3-ac4, and 2.4.3-ac5. If I compile it with 586
optimizations it works fine.
    My hardware is as follows: Athlon/Thunderbird 850 Mhz CPU,
Iwill KK266 Mobo. (uses VIA kt133a chipset and 686b southbridge) with
the latest BIOS update from fullon3d.com which is supposed to fix the
data corruption problem, 256 MB SDRAM and IBM DTLA-307060 HD.

Thanks for any info/help.
Moses