Re: POSIX 52 53? 54

From: yodaiken@fsmlabs.com
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 09:59:27 EST

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 08:46:14AM -0400, Mark Salisbury wrote:
> these are covered in IEEE P100.13, D9 September 1997 AD212. it is available
> from IEEE for a "nominal" fee.
>
> they are 4 defined subsets of POSIX that are deemed appropriate for real-time
> systems.
>
> unfortunately, the sub in subset is a small delta from the full set.
>
> the subsets are:
> PSE51: Minimal Realtime System Profile
> PSE52: Realtime Controller System Profile
> PSE53: Dedicated Realtime System Profile
> PSE54: Multi-purpose Realtime System Profile.
>
> now, PSE51 is already about 90% of POSIX, so I don't really see what is so
> minimal about it. the others require even more.

Actually PSE51 seems to me to be pretty smart which is why, even though I
swore we would never adopt the bloated, slow, POSIX standard for RTLinux,
the discovery of 1003.13 changed my mind. PSE51 says a minimal RT system
can look like a single process with "main" as the OS and with signal
handlers and threads for applications. They note that POSIX does require
"open/close/read/write", but in PSE51, we don't need to offer POSIX file
semantics: this is actually pretty nice for us. We install interrupt
handlers with sigaction, use the thread/creation deletion and the standard
synchronization API which I have grown to semi-like. 1003.13 gets around
"fork" and such by simply adopting a "single process" semantics. According
to the standard, we gotta have "fork", but it can fail due to too many
processes (Linus hates this, but he thinks CC-NUMA scales, so ...)
Basically, PSE51 allows for a real standard API without requiring the system
to stop being hard realtime.
 And then we have one thread as PS54 system so we can do
        pthread_kill(linux_thread(), LINUX_IRQ +n)
to send interrupt "n" to Linux
And Alan Cox invented a brilliant method for fault tolerance where the PSE51
system runs a watchdog thread for the OS and has a recovery thread that
does
   vulture:
        /* wait for death*/
        pthread_join(linux_thread())
        /* note that critical RT processing continues */
        generate_blue_screen("NT EMULATION MODE ON: PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE
                              WE RECOVER. .\n");
        pthread_create(linux_thread(),&linux_attr,restart_linux,0);
        goto vulture;

This could be implemented quite easily.

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:
> > POSIX 1003.13 defines profiles 51-4 where 51 is a single POSIX
> > process with multiple threads (RTLinux) and 54 is a full POSIX OS
> > with the RT extensions (Linux).
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 08:15:34PM -0700, george anzinger wrote:
> > > Any one know any thing about a POSIX draft 52 or 53 or 54. I think they
> > > are suppose to have something to do with real time.
> > >
> > > Where can they be found? What do they imply for the kernel?
> > >
> > > George
> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> >
> > --
> --
> /*------------------------------------------------**
> ** Mark Salisbury | Mercury Computer Systems **
> ** mbs@mc.com | System OS - Kernel Team **
> **------------------------------------------------**
> ** I will be riding in the Multiple Sclerosis **
> ** Great Mass Getaway, a 150 mile bike ride from **
> ** Boston to Provincetown. Last year I raised **
> ** over $1200. This year I would like to beat **
> ** that. If you would like to contribute, **
> ** please contact me. **

Victor Yodaiken
Finite State Machine Labs: The RTLinux Company.
 www.fsmlabs.com  www.rtlinux.com