Re: Linux 2.4.3-ac5

From: Scott Prader (gnea@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 17:09:47 EST

* Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) uttered:

> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.4/

one of the problems i've been having so far with the 2.4.3 series is the
fact that USB appears to be futzed. It just doesn't want to work right.
Also, I compile a lot of things as modules and I've been getting lots of
unresolved symbols and hence many things (including my nic) don't work,
so I am still stuck at 2.4.2-ac4. So here's some info that should help
out whoevers doing the specific work on USB and whatever else decided it
wanted to say "ok, you suck, go away" ;)

one other note i should mention, is that i use usbmgr from debian linux
(sid) and after i tweaked its config file, it runs just fine,
hot-plugging with my usb mice just fine... gpm and X don't have a
problem with them.

system: abit bp6 dual celerons 366 oc'd to 504 work fine with 2.4.2-ac4
and win98 blahblahblah

utils:
Gnu C 2.95.3
Gnu make 3.79.1
binutils 2.11.90.0.1
util-linux
util-linux Note: /usr/bin/fdformat is obsolete and is no
longer available.
util-linux Please use /usr/bin/superformat instead (make
sure you have the
util-linux fdutils package installed first). Also, there
had been some
util-linux major changes from version 4.x. Please refer to
the documentation.
util-linux
mount 2.11b
modutils 2.4.2
e2fsprogs 1.19
reiserfsprogs 3.x.0j
Linux C Library 2.2.2
Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.2.2
Procps 2.0.7
Net-tools 1.59
Console-tools 0.2.3
Sh-utils 2.0.11
blahblahblah...

well that's about it, i've attached some logs that i snipped since the
rest of it didn't contain any errogenous errors. If you need more info
please give me a hollar. But i think this should do it.

the first log is from make modules_install at the end, the second is the
tailing part of dmesg (nothing out of place before it, and it tends to
scroll past the buffer so I can't see the whole thing even with dmesg
-s20000, which i find quite annoying, but 'tis life)

   .oO Gnea [gnea at rochester dot rr dot com] Oo.
         .oO url: http://garson.org/~gnea Oo.

"You can tune a filesystem, but you can't tuna fish." -unknown